Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Parents are Ageing. Help!

Suddenly, after Srushtee's birth, I seem to have become acutely aware of the fact that my parents are ageing.

My parents had kids pretty late, so my Mum is due to retire from her job in March '07. She has Osteoarthritis. Sometimes, she complains of leg pain, my Dad has varicose veins and also has leg pain. They also feel out of sorts for various reasons with increasing frequency.

When Srushtee is around, they will insist on carrying her and cuddling her and pampering her, but nowadays, they also tire quickly and need to frequently hand her back to me so they can take a breather.

It is unsettling. It is not a nice idea to think they are growing old. Somwhere in my mind was a firm belief that they will always be there for me when I need them. This is a belief that has been reinforced many times over during my life and especially after I got married.

Suddenly now, this belief seems to be developing microscopic fissures.

I suppose all of us know that someday our parents will need us to take care of them instead of the other way around.

I also feel that whenever that day comes, I want to be able to take such good care of them, that they feel luxuriously comfortable and feel proud of me.

All the same, I still feel like running away from that eventuality forever.

How's that for an example of emotions and rationale being at cross purposes?

No comments: